- KVS believes in imparting knowledge/values and nurturing the talent, enthusiasm and creativity of its students for seeking excellence through high-quality educational endeavours.
- To cater to the educational needs of children of transferable Central Government employees including Defence and Para-military personnel by providing a common programme of education;
- To pursue excellence and set the pace in the field of school education;
- To initiate and promote experimentation and innovations in education in collaboration with other bodies like the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) etc.
- To develop the spirit of national integration and create a sense of “Indianness” among children.
- To provide, establish, endow, maintain, control and manage schools, hereinafter called the ‘Kendriya Vidyalaya’ for the children of transferable employees of the Government of India, floating population and others including those living in remote and undeveloped locations of the country and to do all acts and things necessary for providing a conducive atmosphere in schools.
- Common text-books and bilingual medium of instruction for all Kendriya Vidyalayas.
- All Kendriya Vidyalayas are affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education.
- All Kendriya Vidyalayas are co-educational, composite schools.
- Sanskrit is taught in class VI – VIII.
- The quality of teaching is kept high by an appropriate teacher-pupil ratio.
- No tuition fee for boys up to class VIII, girls up to class XII and SC/ST students and children of KVS employees.